Thursday, October 16, 2008

An Analogy

God fills us with forgiveness, love, mercy and grace.....imagine it as a pure white light of His love for us.

As humans it is impossible for us to transmit this "pure white light' through our flawed selves. We can only do it for brief shining moments. Because of our nature - flawed, fleshy, and sinful nature - the light breaks, like light through a prism. A rainbow of colors shining through each of us, beautiful to behold but flawed.

So instead of us showing each other forgiveness, love, mercy and grace - we are instead intolerant of each other. Judgemental of each other. Hate each other.

We take the 'pure white light' of God and push it through our opinions, emotions, biases, our racism and our intellect. We pervert it - break it apart. We decide we don't like the color blue and we don't want anyone else to like it either. Anyone showing blue or liking the color blue is wrong - our enemy - sinning - going to hell. Where is love? Where is forgiveness? Where is mercy and grace? Where is God's Word?

Shouldn't we try to live the gifts that God has given us? Even though it is humanly impossible to shine throught the perfect 'pure light' of God - shouldn't we do everything in our power to at least try? To show through our actions and deeds: forgiveness, love, grace and mercy? To know that God finds us beautiful, even in our brokenness. That He loves us beyond anything we can ever do.

I am broken. I am flawed.
I am an imperfect vessel for God's grace.
I am beautiful in His eyes.
I am weak. I sin.
I am unable to be the perfect vessel for Him.
I am beautiful in His eyes.

Jesus has been the only vessel close to God's glory on this earth - able to shine God's 'perfect pure white light' on to us. But even Jesus had weakness...He asked the Father to take the mantle off of Him. He was afraid He wasn't strong enough......He was afraid.......The human vessel was weak. And in His weakness, I love Him more. That moment brings Him closer to me than all the miracles put together.

The miracles prove His divinity. The weakness shows His humanity. His death is human. His resurrection is God.


Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

No comments: